This simple and easy gumbo recipe came from me wanting to surprise my Louisiana-bred husband one day with one of his favorite dishes.
Here’s the thing, the idea to make said gumbo came at the spur of the moment while I was driving home from work. If you’ve ever watched or made true gumbo, you know it’s some WORK. We’ve shared my aversion to the kitchen before, so I had to come up with a plan E for Easier.
I’m sharing a recipe that got 2 thumbs up from the Mister (who doesn’t know it’s simple and easy…SHHH!!!!).
Simple and Easy Gumbo RECIPE
I cook this in a stockpot as it’s easy to prepare everything in one dish, refrigerate and reheat as necessary.
A simple gumbo recipe for beginners or if you're short on time.
- Half a stick of butter
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 can of cut okra
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 10-12 ounces of tomato juice
- 3 cups of water
- 1 can of boned chicken
- frozen onions and green pepper mixture
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cajun seasoning, can add more if you'd like a little more kick
- 3 cans of crab meat
- chopped smoked sausage
- 1 teaspoon file'
- Melt half a stick of butter in a stockpot with flour to create a roux. (The roux thickens sauces and soups)
- Once the mixture is color peanut butter add all items except seafood, smoked sausage, and file'.
- Bring the mixture to boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir and add seafood and smoked sausage. Simmer for 30 more minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of file'.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes before serving.
What are some of your favorite cold-weather dishes? During the colder months when it gets dark earlier and earlier, it is important for me to have simple staple recipes that are filling.
Featured At: Life On Lakeshore Drive
Houseful of Soups Participants
- Neckbone Stew – Houseful of Nicholes
- Sweet Potato + Black Eyed Peas Stew – This Worthey Life
- Easy Creamy Tomato Soup – Big Crazy Life
- Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew – Ashley & Company
- Sweet Potato Carrot Soup – Someday I’ll Learn
- Corn Chowder Soup – Day By Day In Our World
- Super Simple Cauliflower Soup – Good Girl Gone Redneck
- 20-Minute Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup – Life of A Ginger
- Creamy Bechnut Squash Soup – 100 Directions
- Pasta e Fagioli – More Than Thursdays
- Easy One Pot Lasagna Soup – Mama Harris’ Kitchen
- Super Easy Egg Drop Soup – Eat Picks
- Jonah’s Float A Seafood Soup – food:life:love
- Instant Pot Chili – SimplifyLiveLove
- Easy Gumbo Recipe – Divas With A Purpose
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup – My Crafty Life
- Haitian Soup Joumou – Squash Soup
Michelle D. Garrett is the founder of Divas With A Purpose. She focuses on sharing resources for being purposely productive; setting personal and professional goals and achieving them through daily action; and successfully running a business while focusing on your mental health. Michelle is a full-time entrepreneur who specializes in teaching female entrepreneurs how to show up consistently in their business – online and off.
If you enjoyed this article, you will also enjoy reading: