Welcome to Day 10 of our 31 Days of Embracing Your Divatude Challenge! Today’s challenge is to find time to relax. Stress is more than just unpleasant – it’s dangerous. Many diseases are now known to be caused by or made worse by stress, but you can do something about it.
If you are new to the challenge, you can catch up here.
Briefly, the month of May is dedicated to focusing on our Divatude – being driven, inspiring, victorious and called to action in our personal and professional lives. As women, different aspects of divatude impact our daily walk at all times. Our focus with this challenge is taking the time to reflect on our daily attitudes and actions and ensuring we are focusing on what will lift us and others around us up.
Try these relaxation techniques today, and use them whenever you feel that tension coming on:
1. Have a hot shower. The hot water relaxes your muscles, and the break from more stressful activities helps too.
2. Play relaxing music. Experiment to see which music relaxes you the most effectively. Then keep your favorite relaxation playlist close by – as a playlist, CD or whatever works best for you.
3. Go somewhere else. This really helps if the things stressing you out are in the room or associated with it. Why not get out for a little while?
4. Have a cup of chamomile tea. Chamomile seems to have a calming effect on the nerves, and hot drinks in general can help you relax.
5. Watch your mind. If you can spot the stressors lurking just below the surface (hunger, worry, a phone call you need to make), you can resolve them and feel more relaxed.
6. Have a laugh. Of course, you know from experience that this helps you relax, right? Find the guy that knows all the best jokes, or just find something funny in front of you.
7. Breath deep through your nose. Just close your eyes and pay attention only to your breathing while doing this. Five slow deep breaths is like a mini-meditation.
8. Take a walk. Walking is one of the best relaxation techniques if you have at least ten minutes to spare. Find a pretty place to walk while you’re at it.
9. Give someone a hug. As long as it’s from somebody you don’t mind hugging, this really can be very relaxing.
10. Interrupt your routine. Stop to talk to that guy sleeping on the bench, or eat lunch on the roof. Anything that breaks you out of your habitual patterns can relieve stress.
Over time you can change yourself, and be naturally more relaxed. Even the busiest of divas need to find time to relax and just be. Of course, if the thought of the work involved in this just stresses you more, you might want to take it slow. In the meantime, the relaxation techniques above really aren’t difficult, so why not try a few, and learn today how to relax fast.
Today’s Challenge: Find time to relax and rest your mind and body.
Thursday 15th of May 2014
#1 are what I do all the time. Music is a constant in my home, and aside from having everyone break out into a dance, it really does help us laugh a lot and that releases a lot of stress.
Tuesday 13th of May 2014
I know what you mean - have a terrific Tuesday!
Saturday 10th of May 2014
I love taking walks and listening to Mother Nature.
Tuesday 13th of May 2014
Good for you! I need to get out of my lazy slump now that the weather is warmer.