I love the word “Diva.” It is absolutely one of my favorite words, even with its negative connotation. To me, the word is powerful and brings forth thoughts of determination and action. So here are 5 powerful ways to channel your inner diva in the workplace:
- Relish in the spotlight. When you have the floor, OWN IT! You should demand the attention of everyone in the room, by making eye contact, speaking with authority and striking power poses. Our non-verbal communication and overall body language not only effects the way that we see ourselves, but also how others see us as well. So, as a diva, it’s imperative that when the lights comes on, you’re ready to perform. You better work!
- Bring your passion to the workplace. If you are truly passionate about what you do and find purpose in the work you do, it will be that much easier to show that in the office. Because divas enjoy the spotlight, they work hard to get it and maintain it. This means putting forth the effort to produce great work. You should never find a diva off her game because her passion drives her to stay on it.
- Know your worth & make sure that others know it as well. I’ll keep this one short and to the point. There is nothing worse than not knowing your value and what value you bring to your organization or company. If you can’t see the value in you, there should be no expectation for your superiors to see it. YOU are solely responsible for the development of your career. So when you are making significant contributions to your company, be sure to share that. Waiting to be recognized is not diva-esque at all. Toot your own horn and eventually you will have others tooting it for you.
- Surround yourself with the right people. Over time, divas must become well-versed in deciding who is for them and who is against them because this can make all the difference. You don’t see Aretha hanging around with people who discourage or tear her down, do you? At work, it’s the same thing. You want to align yourself with the co-workers and leaders that challenge you and keep you on your toes. Leave the ones that spend their time gossiping, bickering and complaining on the sidelines. They will suck you dry if you let them. Divas stay in the company of other divas (and divos) and utilize those connections to their benefit.
- Operate on a clear understanding that it’s not all about you. Whaat? Isn’t that the exact opposite of what a diva really thinks? Well, no. A true diva realizes that to whom much is given, much is required. Their confidence in their abilities, allows them to teach and guide others to that same confidence and beyond. You will never catch a true diva snubbing another sister on her way up. That’s just not how divas work.
Being a diva simply means being driven, inspiring, victorious and called to action. Why wouldn’t you want to bring these qualities to the workplace?
To facilitate a discussion on the topic: In what ways do you channel your inner diva at work? What tips would you give someone who is struggling to step into their diva-tude in the workplace?
Vaneese is a multi-passionate workaholic, career development junkie. When not saving the world at her day job, she spends her time being mommy to Jordyn, trying to get out of graduate school and thinking of her next master plan. Vaneese writes about working while being a young, ambitious mom at As Told By V – From One Ambitious Mama to Another. Connect with her on Twitter here and Facebook here.