Skip to content

One Word 2014

If you had to choose one word to describe your focus and intentions for the coming year, what would it be?

A few years ago, I read a novel entitled Thursdays at Eight by Debbie Macomber. Rather than resolutions, the main characters each chose a word for the year. The word was to be something they wanted to focus on, strengthen or embrace.  I loved the idea and for the past 3 years as part of my yearly goals I have, also, selected one word for the year.

Last year my word was focus and for the two years before that it was gratitude.While it seems simple enough, once you settle on a word and shape your goals for the year – that one word seems to be a flashing red light at times.  The first year I chose gratitude, two days into the new year I lost my youngest uncle.  Gratitude was the furthest thing from my mind – but throughout the entire ordeal it was there.  A reminder that I had intentionally decided to focus on gratitude no matter what and I had to hold myself accountable.

One Word 2014 Support

After careful consideration and thought, I have decided that my word for 2014 will be support.  I want to focus more on giving genuine support to others and on the vision of Divas With A Purpose being a site dedicated to supporting women in the different aspects of their personal and professional life.

As I look over the goals for Divas With A Purpose, I am excited about some of the series that I have planned and the updates and enhancements to the website that I will be making in the coming weeks.

Ways to Determine Your One Word 2014

• Without being deliberate, begin writing down words focused on what you would like to do and be in 2014.  It could be specific activities you would like to accomplish; characteristics you would like to embody and embrace; habits you would like to break; anything that comes to mind when you think about the coming months
  • Review that list and circle any words that stand out to you.
  • Reflect on what you truly want to accomplish in the coming year and compare to your circled words. Does anything jump at you? Is there a resounding theme?
  • Sometimes your word may come to you immediately and other times you may need to meditate on it and seek guidance and input from others

Click Here to Download this Free Printable (PDF version)

One Word 2014 Printable

Click Here to Download this Free Printable (PDF version)

Have you chosen a word for the year? Share it below in the comments.

57 thoughts on “One Word 2014

1. Pingback: LISTEN | One Word 2014 Update |

2. Pingback: January Accountability and Recap » Divas With A Purpose

3. Michell @Prowess and Pearls says:

Hey Michelle! Joi’s “one word” post got my wheels to spinning, so I’ve linked up my post! Love your word, btw! Support is something we all need in the blogging world! Thanks so much for sharing it! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend my friend!

4. Pingback: One Word…Because I Only Get One | BeQuoted

5. Pingback: My One Word for 2014: Gratitute | This Mom's Delight

6. Pingback: Week in Review 2014: Week 2 » Divas With A Purpose

7. xtraleo says:

This is my first year joining the challenge and already it has been a challenge thinking of my word! I have it and I’m linking up on Monday! Thank you for this.

8. Britton says:

I LOVEd this challenge Michelle and I linked up. My word for this year is “transition”. Happy New Year!

9. Pingback: 2014: Unravelling the Year Ahead - My Big, Beautiful, Life...and Everything In Between

10. Lynn says:

Kalley C brought me here! My Word for 2014 is actually Purpose! I’ll be blogging about how I’m living my life in Purpose, on Purpose, and with Purpose! Great to connect with you :-)

11. Britton says:

I haven’t come up with my one word yet, but I will be over the next few days. I have been thinking of a couple possibilties! I love this idea Michelle! Happy new Year!

12. Drea says:

Thank you so much for sharing this, Michelle. I was guided to this post by Mrs. Tee of mrsteelovelifeandlaughter.com and have chosen the word fearless. I will embrace all that the year has in store for me without fear, but with love and excitement. =)

I wish you the best in all of your endeavors!

13. Joanna Sormunen says:

Support sounds like a terrific word. I like the way it is directed to your mission and vision, to the service you want to give. May God bless you in this and may He give you the strenght to fullfill it.

• Michelle says:

Many thanks to you and your encouraging words, Joanna! May God bless and keep you, as well!

14. Pingback: Build | redbuffalotrading.com

15. Corlie says:

I love this, I first came across your blog via beingawordsmith so I hopped over. I’ve already chosen my word for 2014 – build – but I’ve yet to write the post :) perhaps right now is the time to write it!

• Michelle says:

Glad we were able to provide the inspiration to put together a post! Can’t wait for you to link-up and connect. Happy 2014!

16. Chirleen says:

Great tips on choosing your word of the year. I actually chose one just this morning, HOPE. I chose this word mostly because I’m a new Christ-follower but also because after years and years of trying to start a family, I’d like to remain hopeful that one day I will become a mother.

17. Joi @ Rx Fitness Lady says:

I’ll be linking up late but I have chosen a word. Support is a phenomenal word! It is aligned with this inspirational blog for sure. It’s a world of support already here for women seeking motivation. Happy New Year!

18. Lisa says:

Thank you, not only for hosting, but for your kind comments on my blog. Being a support to your family and friends is a noble and godly calling. I know that I am very grateful for support that I have been given along the way. I pray that your 2014 will bring many blessings.

19. Pingback: 2014 & One Word | Life & MochaChic

20. Kimberly H. Smith says:

I did it, Michelle. I wrote my post for my one word and came back to link up. Thank you for sharing this. It is going to be a great new year. Happy New Year!

21. Pingback: My One Word for 2014 | Being A Wordsmith

22. Barbara Hoyer says:

Being a wordsmith, I have 4 words for 2014! I’m using the ones I chose for 2013 since I’m finding they continue to resonate with me: Compassion, Release, Dedication, and Discipline.

I would love for you to share your post and printable with my readers at my Motivation Monday linky: http://alifeinbalance.net

• Michelle says:

Hi Barbara! Thank you for stopping through and sharing your words and the linky! Those are some strong words – here’s to a fantastic 2014!

23. misssrobin says:

This will be my third year of choosing one word for the year. My word for the year is CREATE. I want to create the world of my dreams. I’m so excited to see how the year unfolds. Best wishes with your word; it’s a great choice!

Happy Sharefest and best wishes for a wonderful new year.

• Michelle says:

Love it!!! Thanks for stopping through to share your word and the inspiration behind it. Happy 2014!

24. KoKoa Magazine (@KoKoaMagazine) says:

Hmmmm My one word for 2014 would probably be Focus because in this new year I want to focus more on ways to develop me and my goals hence the name of our business lol. Great post

• Michelle says:

Great word! That was mine from last year and it was great and refreshing to eliminate some fluff and truly focus on those things that mattered most personally and professionally.

• Michelle says:

That would be a great one! I need to have that as a sub-word…LOL

25. gladiatorinheels says:

Awesome!! My husband turned me on to the One Word challenge last year and I enjoy it much more than a list of New Year resolutions. Not that I did exceptionally well keeping my 2013 word before me but I am more focused for 2014. My One Word for 2014 is PRESENT. I need to be more present in everything that I do, my relationship with God, being wife, mom, employee, every area, even cooking, which I cannot stand! My blog post about this will be up next week. Thanks for posting, found you via SITS Girls

• Michelle says:

Love it! Way to go hubby for introducing you to the One Word challenge. Can’t wait to read your blog post. Happy 2014!

26. Kathy Nicholls says:

I actually do 3 words that set the north star for the new year. This year my words are gratitude, opportunity, and inspire. My post on my blog on Monday morning will flush that out more. I love that it provides a guide for the year!

• Michelle says:

Love your 3 words! I just read your post. This year I’m, also, focusing on Organization and Patience (both personally and professionally). Thanks for stopping through! Have a fantastic new year!

27. mrsrkfj says:

This was a great post! Thank you for sharing how you got the idea, and what word you used each year.

28. Carole says:

This is so awesome! A great way to start the new year! My word is kindness. I’ll be linking my post to your site soon! Thanks for sharing!

29. MochaChic says:

Michelle, this is perfect way to begin the new year with! I need time to think about my word! I’ve posted this on my FB fan page and might use it as an exercise with my group of friends to guide our vision boards! Thank you for sharing.

• Michelle says:

Love it and, of course, I’m ready to support in any way I am able! Appreciate you stopping through and sharing your word.

30. ClassySharelle says:

I LOVE this Diva!! Girl This year I am going to be “Intentional.” Do the things that make sense, because the intent is clear!!!

• Michelle says:

Thanks Diva!!! I cannot wait to celebrate the successes of 2014 as you move forward with that clear intent!

31. Pingback: #AskAwayFriday W/ Miss Dre From ...So She Writes By Miss Dre |

32. Kimberly H. Smith says:

Michelle, I am loving this! I shared it on my fb fan page. I’m going to give this some serious thought because 3 words came to mind and I want to choose wisely. Will be back to link up! #SGBC

• Michelle says:

Thanks so much! I appreciate you sharing this with your readers and your support! Can’t wait for you to share your word with us!

33. Pingback: Thankful Thursday: A Simple List » Divas With A Purpose

34. Niecy says:

I LOVE your word! I have been doing one word for several years now too. First was Encore 2010, Increase 2011, Glory 2012 and Glory stuck around again in 2013 because I wanted to see God’s glory in my life. This year by word is ORDER. I’ll link up for sure once I write my post closer to the New Year!

Hugs!

Niecy

• Michelle says:

You’ve had some powerful words! Looking forward to your post.
      Thanks for connecting, Diva!

35. Aleshea says:

Ohh, I like this. I’ll have to bookmark this and try and not forget to link-up once the Christmas Link-up I’m doing is over.

• Michelle says:

Hope to see you back, Aleshea! Have a fantabulous Christmas!

36. Rea says:

This is such a great idea. I’m new here and I’m linking up! Thanks so much for sharing as this one is so timely for me. My word this year is UNDERSTAND. :)

• Michelle says:

Welcome Rea! Thank you for connecting and linking up your word for the year! Love it!

37. Kalley C says:

That’s a great word to focus on this year. This year, I picked patience. For 2014, I’m thinking about picking Bold. I want to do things that are different and out of my comfort zone. I want to experience more things for sure!

• Michelle says:

I love it Kalley! I can’t wait to see what’s in store for you as you step out of your comfort zone with boldness!

Join in the Discussion, Diva :)